Sunday 22 February 2015

Finally, more that 21.1km

I feel like I've broken a barrier, this week my long run was 23km and it's the furthest I've ever run. I've completed half marathons before but never beyond that, and today, I broke that barrier and went the distance, 23km. Wonder how I'll feel after 44km? After today, whilst I felt good, I think I realise what a challenge it is that lays ahead of me!

It's been a good week though, somewhat lonely though as all my runs were on my own. Barto is out with a calf injury but hopes to be back this week, fingers are crossed. After my 8km run on Wednesday I came back to the change rooms and had a slight Bridget Jones moment, singing "All by myself" in the change rooms.

I had a technical glitch occur this week with my running gear, my trusty running watch died! Seriously, I think it never wanted to run more than 21km as it has tended to let me down when I'm out doing longer distances. Bit this week the screen have up the ghost, it was out of warranty, so off to the shop I went to buy a new one. I bought another Nike running watch even though it has had a few issues, overall, it's been a good watch and by having the same watch I can keep all my records in the one app. It would have been bad that halfway through training I have to change too new app.

So, anyway, how was my long run? It was pretty good, it was a warm morning, so I set out a little concerned by the heat, but the path I ran has plenty of water stops and I managed to keep hydrated. I sued to energy gels along the way, vanilla, which was yummy! Towards the 15km mark I had to stop for a good stretch, my glute was a little tight and it was starting to hurt as I run, not painful, but just a dull niggle. I'd say based on today's run, I'd feel okay if I had to run 10 ore km, but not sure how I'd go if I was running the full marathon. I guess that's why you train!

My other runs for the week were two 10 km runs, my first one I smashed with a 5:09pace, it's good to know I can still run faster. My 8km was a nice little hilly run, with a 5:41pace and Fridays 10km run was a 5:27pace.

I've made some changed to my diet this week, added in some more protein and carbs, just really increased what I'm eating, which stops me snacking on rubbish! Not that I eat a lot of rubbish, but those yummy slices and cakes at work are sometimes hard to say no to!

Well, that was the week that was, week 8! 12 weeks to go! Next week is 27km, at this stage is scares the crap out of me! But until them, I'll just keep running!

Cheerio :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment